Saturday, September 30, 2006

On to the Feet

The story is coming out pretty confusing. I don't know if it's the blog format, my medication or it's a just a really confusing story. But let's get into the problems with walking.

In the Spring of 2005, I had tumor start growing in my left groin and another on the bottom of my right foot. The one on my foot was about the size of a hard boiled egg cut down it's length and glued to the sole of my foot. It was a real pain in the ass to walk on. I tried different shoes, cutouts in the soles and even started using a cane.

The chemo treatments I had in the summer kept things under control but by winter 2006, walking anything other than short distances was a problem.

The hip had the same problems except the tumor had eaten into some of the bone and we had a real strength issue. I also had a real pain problem putting any weight and even just resting the hip joint, this peaked in August and September. This was causing problems working so it was time to take care of it.

We spoke with the doctor's and decided to remove the the right foot tumor first. This won't solve everything. We also need to look at repairing the left hip joint and returning to cacer treatment program.

For the foot, the surgery cuts off the tumor and then applies a gauze bandage and a vacuum pump, they let the wound heel without skin for 10 days and then come back and complete the job with a skin graft.

This added up to about 6 weeks of sitting around the hospital/home as my foot is healing. Currently, I have probably another 2 weeks before the right leg is up and running.

0

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin! Well AJ and I were reading and now we know why Deneen did not give us a quick answer to how you are recovering but sent us to your blog. If our math is right you should be almost on your feet (but not your hip, just yet)in a week or so. That will be worth it!!Thinking of you and looking forwward to seeing you at the end of the month when I swing thourhg Texas. love, Michelle and AJ

Anonymous said...

Kev, Deneen sent me this link and I've been trying to keep up with how things are going. Wondering how the foot is and when the hip surgery is scheduled. Dad is doing much better and there is even talk about him coming home soon. They have to remove the small chest cathoder and then he'll be unhooked to any machines. Actually, they already unhooked the cathoder but are leaving it in to see if his lung will collapse any before they remove it completley. He seems to be doing ok with walking a little but gets winded easily. They put him in another room with a roomate that seems to be bugging him so I think that is driving him to get out of the hospital ASAP. Hope things are going well and we'll talk to you soon.